City Of Lies
Quiet and brutal, a deadly young Bushi. Played by Mel
Insight Rank: 1 Insight: 129
Clan: Scorpion, Soshi Family
School: Bayushi Bushi School
Initiative of 3k2 armor tn 25
|Honor: 2.5||Glory: 1.0||Status: 1.0||Shadowland Taint: 0.0|
|Stamina 2||Willpower 2|
|Reflexes 2||Awareness 2|
|Strength 2||Perception 2|
|Agility 2||Intelligence 4||Void 2|
|Katana||5k2||5k2||Samurai, Medium, May spend 1 Void point +1k1 to damage|
|Wakazashi||5k2||5k2||Samurai, Medium, May throw up to 20 feet|
|Light Armor||+5||3||+0 TN Agility and Reflex skills|
|TN to be Hit||Armor Bonus||Other Bonus||Total|
|20 (Reflexes *5 + 5)||+5||3||25|
|The Way of The Scorpion|| Scorpion bushi always seem to get the jump on opponents. You gain a bonus of +1k1 to your Initiative Rolls. You also gain a bonus of +5 to your Armor TN against any opponent
with lower Initiative.
|Iaijutsu||Readying a katana is a free action, During an Iaijutsu Duel, the character gains
one Free Raise on his Iaijutsu (Focus) / Void roll during the Focus Stage.
|Etiquette||+3 insight above what would normally be indicated||Kenjutsu||+1k0 to all damage rolls with the sword.||Courtier||+3 Insight above the normal total indicated by ranks||Defense||User may retain previous bonus, rather then rerolling||Horsemanship||Character may use Full Attack Stance from horseback.|
|Inheritance (Father’s Warhorse)||5||Gain +1k1 to all skill rolls to related item|
|Language Rhummal||1||You speak and write in a foreign tongue. .|
|Wealthy||1||Start with 2 extra koku|
|Wary||3||You are constantly on alert, always looking out for the unexpected.When rolling Investigation (Notice)/Perception against Stealth (Ambush)/ Agility to detect an ambush, you add +1k1 to your roll|
1. WHAT CLAN DOES YOUR CHARACTER BELONG TO? A character’s clan is their most defining characteristic because each clan has a well-established and distinct set of philosophies, prejudices, and ideals. Whether a character adheres to the stereotypes of his clan or breaks them, one way or the other they will prove very important to his personality.
2. WHAT FAMILY DOES YOUR CHARACTER BELONG TO? Just like a character’s clan, a character’s family is an especially important defining characteristic. The stereotypes of each clan are broad, but individual families within the clan have much more specific, detailed roles and attitudes that further define the identity of the clan and those who serve it.
3. IS YOUR CHARACTER A BUSHI, A SHUGENJA, OR A COURTIER? Duty is an essential aspect of every samurai’s life, and establishing exactly what manner of duty a character is obligated to perform is an important step in breathing life into him or her. Is the character a warrior and soldier, a priest and scholar, or a diplomat and politician?
4. HOW WOULD OTHERS DESCRIBE YOUR CHARACTER’S APPEARANCE? Every character should have a rough description in order to give him some sort of life when describing him to others. What is the character’s most striking feature? Does his mood come through in his appearance or is he inscrutable? Does he make others feel at ease, or make them uncomfortable?
Koji appears to be a beautiful woman. However, she tends to avert her gaze any time others look at her face. This makes her seem a bit awkward, or sneaky, as if she’s hiding her facial expressions. The plain cloth mask covering her mouth and nose add to this effect. She carries herself with a quiet confidence, though. Most men (and some women) find her to be very attractive, but nobody seems to know what color her eyes are.
5. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S PRIMARY MOTIVATION? Though all samurai are, in theory, solely devoted to fulfilling the wishes of their lord, most have their own goals as well. Some may be simple, such as maintaining the honor of your ancestors, while others may revolve around the recovery of a lost heirloom or the avenging of a slight to your family’s honor.
Koji is almost obsessed with convincing the world that the Scorpion Clan are equally useful on the battlefield and at Court. She constantly throws herself into the thick of danger without any real concern for her own safety, and holds honor in the highest regard.
6. WHO IS THE PERSON YOUR CHARACTER TRUSTS MOST IN THE WORLD? Characters should have some developed background in order to facilitate role-playing. This question not only includes the individual’s identity, but how that person met the character, why they are so close, and other similar questions.
Herself. She wants to trust the other Emerald Magistrates in her group, but she has only just met them, and she hasn’t had enough time to build up any mutual trust yet.
7. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S GREATEST STRENGTH AND WEAKNESS? Strengths are what others see as respectable or admirable in the character, while weaknesses are what he would struggle to hide from others, lest they look down upon him for his failures. What does the character regard as his strengths and weaknesses, and how does this differ from his actual abilities?
Koji’s greatest strength is her ability to see past the majority of the bickering between Clans and work equally well with any Clan she has to work with. Her greatest weakness is her impatience, which often causes her to go off on her own when she feels that her compatriots are wasting too much time drinking or talking.
8. WHAT DOES YOUR CHARACTER THINK OF BUSHIDO? Although all samurai pay homage to the code, most Clans and families revere certain tenets over others. Which does the character consider the most important and which does he consider inconsequential? Do his views differ from those of his Clan?
Her views on Bushido differ from the majority of her Clan, due mostly to her father’s influence on her. He was a Unicorn, and taught her the ways of his Clan as she grew up, so that she was brought up with both perspectives in equal measure. She understands the importance of honesty, for example, but she also knows that there comes a time when honesty can only cause undue harm and kinder words are necessary.
9. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S OPINION OF HIS CLAN? Of course all samurai are loyal and devoted servants of the Clan, but that does not mean they do not have their own opinions. Is the character a martial vassal of a pacifistic Clan? Or is he a pacifist in a society of warriors? Does he disagree with the Clan’s current enmities and alliances?
She is frustrated with the Scorpion Clan. Too many within her clan use their influence and the abilities they’ve learned to harm innocents. Also, and again due mostly to her father’s influence on her, she tends to treat those of lower classes much better than most in her Clan. She doesn’t see as much of a difference between the classes as most other Scorpions do.
10. IS YOUR CHARACTER MARRIED? Marriage is a very important institution in the Empire of Rokugan. A samurai’s spouse is responsible for managing the estate, and actually wields considerable political power depending upon the size of their holdings. Was the character’s marriage arranged, or is he or she still betrothed? Is it someone the samurai has actually met, or a complete stranger? Is there a case of true love that will interfere with the wedding, or will the samurai embrace duty over the wants of the heart?
She is not married or betrothed at this time. If she were to fall in love with someone, she would attempt to persuade her parents to help her set up a betrothal if possible. In the end, if they couldn’t for one reason or another, she might very well go against tradition and marry her true love in secret anyway.
11. DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE ANY PREJUDICES? Most Clans are negatively predisposed against at least one other Clan, most often as a result of conflicts that have endured for decades or even centuries. Is the character one who readily subscribes to these prejudices or has he developed his own dislikes of other Clans, even allied Clans, based on his own experiences?
She doesn’t currently have any prejudices against any other Clans.
12. TO WHOM DOES YOUR CHARACTER OWE THE MOST LOYALTY? The simplest answer to this question would of course be “The Emperor,” but very few samurai have the honor to serve the Son of Heaven directly, instead serving someone in a long chain of authority that could include the Emerald Champion, the Clan Champions, the family daimyo, the provincial governors, or even the local magistrate. Whom does the character serve immediately, and is that person the one to whom he is the most loyal?
She is actually most loyal to her own father. She loves her mother as well, but her father is the one who taught her horsemanship, and encouraged her to learn how to fight.
13. WHAT ARE YOUR CHARACTER’S FAVORITE AND LEAST FAVORITE THINGS? This could address a wide variety of responses, including material possessions, activities, locations, or almost anything else that could spring to mind. Why does the character revere these things? What significance do they have to his history?
Koji loves spending time with her horse, Raiden, which was given to her by her father. She also loves to read and to paint. She firmly believes that every man or woman deserves to be given the opportunity to prove their innocence when accused of any crime. She understands that sometimes bad things are done for good reasons. She dislikes drinking and she hates opium, and refuses to touch the latter under any circumstances.
14. DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE ANY RECURRING MANNERISMS? Since everyone tends to act according to the same protocol and etiquette, minor and inoffensive details of behavior tend to get noticed more frequently. Does the character chew his lip when he is nervous? Perhaps he has a unique greeting that he prefers to use. What does he do with his hands when nothing is going on?
She averts her face when anyone looks directly at her.
15. WHAT ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER’S EMOTIONS? A true samurai is not supposed to show emotion, but no one is completely disciplined at all times, and everyone demonstrates some degree of emotion at one point or another. What emotion is the character most likely to display when the circumstances arise? What are the things that push him to the edge most easily, and which emotions are the easiest for him to hold in check?
Koji is most likely to display signs of boredom or frustration. Abuse of weaker individuals or individuals of lower classes will quickly send her over the edge into a red rage, bringing out a brutal side that she tends to repress otherwise.
16. HOW WOULD YOUR CHARACTER HANDLE A SUBORDINATE’S IMPROPER BEHAVIOR? The actions of a subordinate reflect the honor of his superior, and in such cases a superior has a considerable amount of leeway in dealing with a subordinate. Is the character the sort to demand the subordinate’s seppuku over even a minor infraction (something that could get the character into significant trouble very quickly), or will he forgive the behavior and attempt to correct it?
She’s fairly patient with subordinates. She’d gently correct the individual the first couple of times, then gradually she’d become more and more frustrated if the subordinate keeps refusing to cooperate.
17. HOW WOULD YOUR CHARACTER’S PARENTS DESCRIBE HIM? Devotion to one’s parents is considered proper behavior for any samurai, but devotion can be offered without any real respect between a parent and child. Does the character have a proper relationship with his parents or are they estranged? Was the character’s upbringing a source of joy or dismay for his parents? Are they still alive, or were they taken from the character at a younger age?
Both of Koji’s parents love her dearly. She impressed her mother regularly with her Courtly manners, and equally impressed her father with her Horsemanship and fighting abilities. She never failed to show her parents the proper respect.
18. WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S HIGHEST AMBITION? Desire is a sin, but ambition tempered by duty is considered acceptable among most in the samurai caste. Bushi often aspire to become military leaders, for example, while courtiers desire nothing more than to rule over others at influential courts. What is the character’s ultimate goal and, perhaps more importantly, how far is he willing to go in order to accomplish it?
Her ultimate goal is to prove that the Clans can work together smoothly without the constant bickering that tends to annoy her to no end.
19. HOW RELIGIOUS IS YOUR CHARACTER? Among bushi and courtiers, levels of religious devotion vary widely. Shugenja are of course religious, but even among their ranks some are more reverent than others. Is the character one to offer frequent prayers and make trips to the temple, or has he dismissed the need for religion and instead embraced the rule of steel in his life?
She believes, because she’s seen things that prevent her from not believing. She doesn’t make frequent trips to any temples, but she does fight against evil.
20. HOW WILL YOUR CHARACTER DIE? This is a very important and intimidating question, but one that should be given consideration. Every samurai lives a few short feet from death, and death is a threat that can rear its head on any day of a samurai’s entire life. What is the character’s destiny? How will he meet his end when the time comes for him to join his ancestors, or to rejoin the universe as part of the Celestial Wheel?
Koji will probably sacrifice her own life to save the lives of others, or to protect her true love if she ever falls in love.